Most of person take helps of third-party apps to zip and unzip files on your iPhone or iPad. iOS 13 adds a few much-needed zip and unzip features to the Files app. This feature has the ability to open ZIP and other compressed files, as well as create such files on your device. Now that this feature is baked into Files app on iOS 13, it is much closer to how the Finder works on Mac.
Must Read: How to hide your personal apps on Android or iPhone
Most of person need to use any third-party apps to open certain compressed file formats such as RAR or etc, but the Files app can open ZIP and TAR files, and it can compress your files into the ZIP format. This is good enough for most of iPhone or iPad users.
So, if you’re rocking an iPhone with the latest iOS 13 release, Keep reading this guide as we tell you how you can zip/ unzip compressed files using the Files app.
How to zip or unzip compressed files on your iPhone or iPad
Before start this process, we’d like to tell the real fact that the Files app now supports downloading files from Safari and Mail. Apart from this, you can also plug-in external storage devices such as hard drives, pen drives and SD cards directly to your iPhone, which you’ll be able to access from the Files app.
With that said, follow these steps to quickly zip or unzip compressed files in iOS 13 using the Files app.
Must Read: Block Someone on Gmail from Desktop PC, Android or iPhone
How to unzip a compressed ZIP or TAR file on your iPhone or iPad.
Here’s is a few simple steps which helps you to know how to unzip a compressed file on iOS 13/ iPadOS 13:
1. Open the Files app and find the ZIP or TAR file.
2. Now tap on the said file, and automatically all the content will be extracted to a folder of the same name. Alternatively, you can tap and hold the file, then tap Uncompress.
How to create a ZIP file on your iPhone or iPad
Here’s you can understand how to create a compressed file on iOS 13/ iPadOS 13. The system supports just one format, which is ZIP.
1. To create a ZIP file, simply open the Files app and put all the files that you want to zip in a single folder.
2. Now go back and tap the Select button at the top and select the folder you just created.
Must Read: How to open Multiple Facebook Accounts on Android or iPhone
3. Now, tap the three-dot icon present in the bottom-right corner, and tap Compress. Your zip file will appear with the same name and you will then be able to share it or save it according to your liking.
4. In case you want to zip just a single file, open the Files app and tap and hold any file, then select Compress.
And by following these simple steps, you will be able to quickly zip or unzip compressed files in iOS 13 through the Files app.
How to view .zip files in the Files app
Apple added the Files app to your devices in iOS 11, replacing the iCloud Drive application. It lets you view your files located in iCloud Drive, on your device, and through a variety of third-party cloud services. You can easily view .zip files in the Files app at your iPhone or iPad.
To view a zip file, select a .zip archive inside the Files app. When you tap on it you will see a summary view with the name, size, and quantity of files it contains. If you tap Preview Content, you’re taken to the first file in the archive. You can tap on the list icon in the top left hand corner to see all of the individual files. On the right, you have the markup icon to make changes to an image or document, and the share icon.